Regional Center for Tourism and Foreign [RCTFL] is a middle level training institution committed to meeting the educational needs of citizens within and outside the East African Region. It offers courses at certificate and diploma levels. It is dedicated to the achievement of excellence, responsible stewardship of the public trust, and academic freedom.
RCTFL trains students with an expectation that the scholarship and collegiality it fosters in its students will lead them in their later lives to advance knowledge, to promote understanding, and to serve society.
RCTFL is fully registered by:
The Ministry of Higher Education, Science and Technology [MOHEST/PC/1314/010]
“Building bright futures for our Students and Communities at large”
The college is committed to developing each learner's ability to discover, evaluate, and communicate knowledge; to make informed decisions; and to recognize a decision's ethical dimensions.
The college is also committed to imparting a sense of citizenship and personal responsibility, fostering lifelong learning, and nurturing an understanding of the interdependencies of people and their environments.
To provide access to an affordable, quality education in an atmosphere that encourages the full realization of each individual’s potential and to offer opportunities for academic, professional, and personal growth to students of all ages, race, culture, economic level, and past educational experience.
STATEMENT OF VALUES
- Quality, lifelong learning experiences that helps students to achieve their personal and professional goals
- An environment that is committed to diversity as well as the dignity and worth of the individual
- Continuous professional and personal growth of our employees and students
- Effective teaching and student development programs that prepare students for their roles as citizens in a democratic society in a rapidly changing global economy
- Academic Freedom and Responsibility - creating a safe environment where competing beliefs and ideas can be openly discussed and debated
- Sustainable use of our resources
- An agile learning environment that is responsive to the changing educational needs of our students and the communities we serve
- The public’s trust by effective and ethical use of public and private resources
The educational philosophy of Regional Center for Tourism & Foreign Languages is based on the belief that all citizens are entitled to our programs and services of the college from which they can benefit.
This premise underscores the importance of presenting these programs and services in a manner that will help people to:
- Live creative, humane, healthy and sensitive lives.
- Recognize, accept and encourage differences in personal, racial, ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
- Relate to others openly and responsibly.
- Acquire the tools and motivation to continue learning throughout life.
- Develop an appreciation for all occupations, recognizing that dignity and honor come from a task well done rather than from the status of a vocation.
- Acquire the skills necessary for earning a living in a way that will promote the general welfare.
- Prepare for a beneficial use of leisure.
The center is administered by the following:
Board of Directors: This includes the Director, the Managing Director and the Principal.
The Managing Director: He is in charge of the daily administrative matters of the institution
The Principal: He is in charge of academic advancement affairs
The Dean of Students: He is in charge of students’ welfare, support, development and Guidance & Counseling.
Assistant Dean of Students: He/she is in charge of students’ performance records
Heads of Departments: They are in charge of departmental affairs
Tutors: In charge of classroom teaching and evaluation
- Corporate Communication and Marketing unit
- Finance unit
- Procurement Division
- Quality Unit
Through extensive partnerships with well established Institutions, RCTFL provides practical training through internship to the learners for a minimum period of 3 months.
The institution works with the Department of Industrial Training (DIT) to give an assurance of quality practical training.
The current examining bodies are:
- Kenya National Examination Council (KNEC)
- City & Guilds (Pitman)
- Association of Business Managers and Administrators (ABMA)
- International Air Transport Association (IATA)
- United Federation of Travel Agents' Associations (UFTAA)
- Institute of Commercial Management (ICM)
Every year, the college makes a data about academic trends and academic performance. This helps to measure progress toward the student experience objectives identified in our academic plan.
2002: RCTFL got registered by the government Registrar of Companies, Kenya.
2003: RCTFL started operations and had its premier intake. The college had the following departments:
- Tour Guiding Administration
- Air travel ticketing and tourism operations
- Hotel Management - Theory courses
- Foreign Languages
- I C T
2004: RCTFL applied for Full Registration from the Ministry of Education Science and Technology. It got an interim Certificate of Registration.
2005: We introduced the following practical courses:
- Hotel Management - opened a kitchen for Food and Beverage production
- Media studies - opened a studio for Radio and TV production
2007: The college was still pursuing for Full Registration from the new Ministry of Higher Education.
The college introduced a new depart of Business Studies. This department consists of the following courses:
- Business Administration and Management
- Human Resource Management
- Sales and Marketing
- Community Development and Rural Initiatives
2010 Got full approval/registration by the Ministry of Higher Education, Science and Technology.
RCTFL admits students of all nationalities. Foreign students must have relevant and valid documents from the Immigration department, education department and the health department. Kenyan nationals beyond 18 years require an Identification Card while those below need to produce a birth certificate. All students must have proof of previous educational background.
The academic year is divided into four terms of 3 months each. The intakes take place at the beginning of the months of:
Students enroll with O-level qualification and above in management courses. Students with a qualification lower than O level can only be admitted in Languages and ICT courses.
There are full and part time classes, weekend classes as well as courses on crush program.
RCTFL organizes various events to keep the students physically and mentally healthy. Such events include Sports, Beauty Pageants, Field Trips, Picnics, Excursions, visits to organizations among others.
RCTFL does not have its own hostels, we have partnered with good hostels which are near town center.
All classrooms lessons are conducted at the main campus in city center, while practical lessons are held out of the campus. The college has a study room, where students can sit and do assignments or revise as they await lessons.
RCTFL produces graduates who are qualified and fit for the dynamic job market. Some of the well established institutions who have absorbed our products both as interns or employees are:
KENYA AIRWAYS [Kenya]
KENYA BROADCASTING CORPORATION [Kenya]
SAROVA HOTELS [Kenya]
SUPERSPORTS [Kenya branch ]
BUNSON TRAVEL [Kenya]
EMIRATES [United Arab Emirates]
EITIHAD [United Arab Emirates]
SERENA HOTELS [Kenya]
ARCHERS TRAVEL [Kenya]
UCHUMI SUPERMARKETS [Kenya]
MONTAGE MEDIA [Kenya]
AD MEDIA [Kenya]
GHETTO FM [Kenya]
DUBAI VISAS [Kenya]
FLY 540 [Kenya]
PRECISION AIR [TANZANIA]
SARRCHEM INT [Kenya]
COME TO AFRICA SAFARIS e.t.c
RCTFL focuses on producing quality youth to propel the economy our country and our region at large. The reality of this will be realized by equipping our youth with skills which will assist them become entrepreneurs, rather than depend on employment.
The center is focused to grow in line with the government guideline of growth and development labeled “Vision 2030”.
GENDER/SEX AND HIV
Regional Center for Tourism & Foreign Languages does NOT in any way discriminate against people who are HIV positive, against gender/sex of either its students or its employees.